Monday, February 25, 2013

Movement Is Peace



The key to today's Mind Monday is movement.  Movement is very much a form of meditation.  Think back to a time that you used a walk, run, dance, jump rope to calm your mind and relax.  Or even think about a bodybuilder at the gym and how they seem to not see what is going on around them.  You see, what they are doing is putting your attention and intention into the muscle group that they are working.  Now I don't know about you but I always feel more centered when I dance or just moving.

What on earth does this have to do with meditation you ask. Well let me tell you something :)  Meditation is being mindful, attention, intention, calming, peace.  So picture if you will a section of a river that is not affect by the current.  It is murky, stagnant, over-grown, and has a colony of insects.  Now see that same river with a nice current running - the water is clearer, not as over-grown, and insects? I usually don't see any of those lol.  Now think about you body, it has a current that pulses your blood that supplies oxygen and the lymphatic systems that removes toxins.  So naturally when we are sluggish and not pumping our muscles this current slows down which causes pain or illness.

This weeks meditation is actually brought to you from a dance workshop that I attended this weekend (Shanrae Sahira from Ohio and she got this practice from Rachel Brice)

1.  Pick a piece of music, the song for the workshop was call "In his Shirt".

2.  Let the music speak to your body, no thoughts on what the song means, the dishes in the sink, what bills need to be paid, etc.

3.  Just think of your body reacting to the song that is playing.

4.  Move however you want just feel your body.

I can tell you that before we started this exercise I was feeling all sorts of keyed up.  I had just gotten down driving 2.5 hours and was thinking about the show I was going to dance later in the afternoon not to mention a ton of mundane things like the dishes in the sink LOL

So I was looking forward to a stretching warm-up but Shanrae threw this practice at us and let me tell you I felt all the stress from my body leave after the song ended.  I just went very internal and let my body move to the music.  Every thought that I had just seemed to enter and quickly leave, I was "in the zone" or what I like to call it my "zen spot"

go forth and find your zen spot and hope you use this technique in your meditation practice this week :)


No comments:

Post a Comment