Saturday, March 2, 2013

Spirit Friday (Saturday) - Why Do You Dance?




So the question for the morning is - Why Do You Dance?  This question was actually asked to me last weekend at a workshop and the answers started to flow at a very high rate!  Now this isn't just geared to belly dance (this is the style that I love, practice, and perform)  The root of this post is just the simple question of Why?

I started dancing because I was done with being a spectator with this story telling style.  You see I grew up with an appreciation with the arts.  When I was younger I was always putting on little plays and acting like I was on some kind of dance show LOL  but alas I was a military brat so we were always moving every few years so the dance team or the dance studio was never a thought,( I always knew I was going to move soon so why bother, right..........wrong)  I should have made my mom put me into this classes.  Then I decided to go into the military and was lucky enough to go to the Middle East where Belly dance was a way for the ladies to bond together in a sisterhood and be themselves!!  You see it really did give me a self-esteem boost because the ladies that were dancing in the dinner shows were FLUFFY!!!!!  Oh yes, up there with a little fuel for their shimmy and it was wonderful.  I still didn't find classes at this point because I was still moving around a lot.  Fast forward years later and a time in my life when it was finally 'all about me" and I said the hell with it, I'M DOING IT!!

Researched some of the local instructors and found one that worked with my busy schedule and haven't looked back since.  I was bitten by the dance bug write away.  My costumes only take up a few drawers but I am always building it LOL  I have been able to meet some pretty amazing women that accept you at whatever level you are, it's kinda like the can smell the desire to dance on you. (ok that kinda sounded gross but it is what it is like)  They become your dance sisters or what I like to call the ladies - Shimmy Sisters :)  And trust me they aren't just around for dance class, one of my Shimmy Sister continues to push me ti achieve.  She actually is the one that had to PUSH me (and I mean PUSH cause I was fighting her) to start teaching.  So now I am passing it forward to hopefully help my fellow sisters find their light.

With all that said, here is the answer to question.  I dance because it is mine.  It is 3-5 mins of going inside of me and see what happens.  It is a stepping stone to boost my self-esteem.  It is my fountain of youth.  It is my love.  It is my passion.  It is my self expression.  Simply said - IT IS ME!!

Ask yourself the question :)  And just see what comes to mind when you actually think about.

Enjoy and see you next week, Have a great weekend (we are skipping town and I will have the country to think about some ideas for the next show :)

Happy Shimmies xx

No comments:

Post a Comment